When You Learn How To Be Fair, You Carry That With You Forever…

Kaelyn - COlumbus, New Jersey
Themes: equality

A question that I am always asked is, ‘What do I believe in?’ The truth is, I believe in many things! But the thing I believe in the most… I believe in fairness.

Being that I am a 14 year old girl, I still have a lot to learn and a lot to face. Therefore, believing in something, you will not put your belief aside for anyone, no matter the age. This is how I feel about fairness.

Fairness shows up everywhere- school, homes, sports, etc. –everywhere. As children, we are taught what is fair, and are expected to apply it to our everyday lives. If there are 4 children and four lollipops, we are taught that it is fair for each child to get one, and not to let one child take three for him. As we grow a little older, this concept continues… It is not fair to always get your way, or it is not fair for two people to do the same thing and only one get in trouble, etc. Once we learn how to do things in a way that is fair, we are able to get things done and everyone involved is happy. Unfortunately, some people are not always fair.

Recently, I have faced some problems where I learned that people don’t always do things in a fair way. At soccer, there is a rule that if you are not at practice, you do not start the game. However, this rule is not always applied to everyone. On my soccer team, there is a girl that never shows up for our practices, and yet she starts every game and also plays the whole time. For the rest of the girls, that are showing up to the practices, but are not getting the same playing time or aren’t starting games, this is unfair. Also, there was a time where I personally had an argument with one of my own teammates because she had been yelling at me throughout the game and criticizing my playing, but when I said something back to her, my coach yelled at me, “If you have nothing nice to say to her, that you shouldn’t say anything at all.” I felt that this was very unfair because although I explained to him that she has started with me, I was still the only one disciplined.

It’s important for people of all ages to include fairness in their decisions. When you’re a little kid, you learn how to be fair and you carry that with you forever. If all people applied fairness to their decisions, then the world would be a better place. Throughout my life, I will make sure that when I need to make a decision on something that I choose the thing that is fair and I hope that others do the same.