I Believe in Empathy

Mania - cookstown, New Jersey

I Believe in Empathy

“The great gift of human being is that is that we have power of empathy.” “This quotation is written by Meryl Streep.” She explains that everyone can use Empathy in their lives and god has given this gift to everyone.

Empathy means sharing people’s feelings and emotions. If it is a hard situation we can help them in solving their problem. I can find alternative ways to help them out, make them feel better and listen to them. I have used empathy in my life a lot of times.

These days’ people seem to have a lot of things to care about. Kids care about which computer games they are going to play, which programs on TV they are going to see, and which grades they are going to get at school. “White-collar” people care about whether the stock market is going to crash on another black Monday, when their next promotions is happening, where their summer holidays are going to be. People all busily care about big things, including their careers, their money, and their hobbies. You and I are in the same cycle, too. Have we ever taken time to feel sympathy and to help disabled and poor people who are hungry and jobless? Have we ever had time to think of old people who were sent to nursing homes and only remembered by their family once in a year? I do hope many of us will say “Yes”. I am not surprised though if many of us may admit that we don’t have time for that kind of “luxurious” feeling. In the century of Information Technology, of the Internet and robots, of the stock market, we rush to develop our minds and chase our success.

I live with my mom, dad and my brother. We share joys and sorrows with each other. One time, my friend was upset about her family problems. When I met her I figured out that something was wrong with her. First, she regretted but then she told me what the problem was and she wanted to tell to someone who was nearest to her. It was me. When she told me I listened to her with patience. When she finished I solved her problem by giving her a strong solution. She was happy and she hugged me. That was the first time I used empathy in my life. I liked helping her.

One winter morning as I was leaving from my home a young homeless girl met me at the door. She was hungry and shivering in the cold of the brisk morning air. She suffered from Tourettes Syndrome, and her speech was broken by fits, and uncontrollable interjections. She asked for some money to eat, and said that she was between jobs and was on her way to.

Empathy is not to be confused with pity, sympathy or compassion. These feelings are secondary, and cannot emerge without empathy first taking place. That is why sociopath, whose mental architecture lacks a

Sense of empathy, is also deficient in pity, sympathy and compassion. Humans are not alone in having a sense of empathy, although it is very rare in the animal world. Chimpanzees seem to have it to a degree, and possibly gorillas, but not the lesser primates. The observations of dolphins and whales assisting an injured pod-mate also might indicate empathy, but other factors could explain it.