Something to be Proud of

Justin - Columbus, New Jersey

Have you ever accomplished something that you feel proud of? Now you are probably thinking why you were so proud or how you made the accomplishment. My answer is pure dedication. It led me to accomplishment and it makes me so proud. “I think that with a lot of hard work and dedication, I feel that I could be the best in the world. I’m still only 35 years old… I have a fresh start physically and mentally, and I feel that I can achieve my goal to be the best again.” This quote was said by Mario Lemieux. This quote is a great example of what I believe. I believe that dedication is the key to accomplishment.

Last summer my father and I went to the local tennis courts to have another tennis match. I say another because occasionally when my Dad is off from work we get a tennis match in. It was absolutely the perfect day to play tennis. The sun was as bright as a ripe yellow lemon. The sky had no clouds at all. Barely any wind blew on the court. When I close my eyes and picture that day it is bright and warm, my breathing is quick and I’m sweaty from running back and forth returning the shots. Most of all I’m competitive the entire time.

Leading up the tennis match I have been practicing all the time and going to tennis camps. When you go to tennis camps usually you’re in a group with an instructor or two. They teach you basics and fundamentals. Overall the purpose is to prepare you for matches. Practice and training are very important when you have dedication. Practice and training are like the legs of a table, supporting the top which is dedication. The reason I’m so dedicated is because I have love and passion for tennis.

The match between my Dad and I was very close. Each and every shot was important. We played a match of 3 sets and 6 games per set. It came out to a tiebreaker where the first to 7 points wins. I had the early start then took it home. I won! Finally because of my dedication I was able to accomplish the task of beating my father in a tennis match. I thought my Dad was so good that he would never lose to me. I was wrong. I guess all of my dedication paid off.

Back then before I won some values that were important to me were dedication and love. Now, after I won I’ve learned new values like enthusiasm and confidence. Also I understand all of those values better. As a whole, I feel that I understand life better with new meanings of different values.