I Believe In Simply You

Sabrina - Phoenix, New York

I believe in being simply you. I believe that no matter what anyone says you should always be yourself. Yes, there are going to be times when you think you should act like someone else completely and not show any of your true self, but that is not what you should do at all. I mean, if you want to be this amazing spy or something like that then go for it, be a chameleon, but not in the day-to-day.

One thing that a lot of my friends know about me is my hairstyle. I almost never have my hair down, and when it is up I have at least ten hair clips in. They are rainbows and sparkles and plain metal, but they are almost always there. That’s who I am. I can be dressing up to look good for some professional, and those hairclips are there. They are also very good conversation starters.

So many times I hear “Why do you wear so many hair clips?” and almost always I reply “Because I like to and because if I don’t then I have a short mane around my face.” That, of course, leads in to talking about where I got them and when and why I started wearing them. Some people tell me they look goofy and weird, but more often then not I get people who smile and tell me that it is cool that I have the confidence to wear them.

People are going to sometimes think that you are odd for doing the things you like to do, and that is something you are not going to be able to avoid. People are sometimes going to call you things you don’t like being called, you will be stereotyped, and ridiculed, but so what? Who cares what they think? Out of the groups of people who will say these things to you, at least half of them are thinking in their heads “Why can’t I be like that?” They look at you, they look at me, and they think “Why can’t I just do what I want to do? Wear what I want to wear? Be someone other than what everybody thinks I am right now?” These people envy you for your willingness to be you. To them you are someone to be looked up to.

If you act like someone you are not, and repress the true you, then you are just going to be miserable. You are going to do things you don’t want to do more often than you’d like, and say things you don’t believe to be true. People are going to know some other person that is cool, but not the awesomely amazing person that is you. So, don’t worry about all those closed-minded people who don’t like who you are. I like who you are. I think you are perfect just the way you are.

I believe in you being you and I believe in me being me.