Cherish Every Moment

Krista - Chesterfield, New Jersey
Themes: carpe diem

Cherish Every Moment

I believe to cherish every moment in life because you never know if you will get the opportunity again. Your life can change drastically and never be the same, in the matter of minutes.

In the summer of 2008, I learned a very important lesson. On August 15, 2008, Devon L, one of my friends was hit by a car, and passed away the same day. I got the call the next day from a few of my friends. When the news hit me I had thought that it was a joke. I simply asked if he was alright and my friend replied that he was gone. I had known this boy since kindergarten, and my heart sank as soon as I had heard. I was afraid to tell my mom because I knew her reaction would be the same as mine. I worked up the courage and decided to tell her. She simply looked at me and said “Your friends must be playing a mean trick on you.”

The next few days were very difficult for the whole community. There were three services: a candle lighting, a viewing, and a funeral. At each service, Devon’s spiritual presence was felt, and despite all the sadness, the whole community had come together.

The hardest part of this whole experience was going up to Devon’s parents, and sister and simply talking to them. I didn’t know what to say except that I had nothing but great memories of Devon and that I could not think of a single bad characteristic about him. Then this made me really think. I realized that I had known him since kindergarten and then a thought came to me. I regret not talking to him more. I missed the opportunities: on the bus, in school, at parties, and school functions. I regret not being a better friend toward him. It’s upsetting that my chances passed me by but I learned a valuable lesson from this experience. I learned to cherish every moment in life, especially with friends, family, and loved ones. You may never know when someone might leave, and never return. Even if you are not close with the person, losing someone can affect your life in a way that you never thought possible.

I visited Devon’s family once with my mom. We had brought them dinner and spent an hour or two with them. I noticed that the family was extremely strong considering the situation, and this gave me the strength to be just as strong.

I believe to cherish life to the fullest. I believe to cherish friends. I believe to cherish family, and love. I believe to grasp every opportunity in life. Most of all, I believe to cherish life itself.