A Walk Through My Castle

Danny - Trenton, New Jersey

“I find, by experience, that the mind and the body are more than married, for they are most intimately united; and when one suffers, the other sympathizes.” This is a famous quote by Lord Chesterfield. This is what I believe. I believe that my mind is my greatest sanctuary. It keeps me safe from tragedy. It heals me when I’m hurt. And it is a place where I can escape the everyday troubles of life. I guess I could call my mind, my own little world, my savior.

When I was little my mind was wild. Raging with imagination just waiting to be tamed and used. I had more imagination than most six year olds in my class. I was creative and smart in my own way. But I never knew how I was so creative. I first realized that I could use my mind in any way when I was in second grade. I guess I could say I learned how to control my own mind. We were learning how to write specific directions. Our task was to write a complete set of directions on how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. “Use your minds to picture how you would make the sandwich,” my teacher, Mrs. Poe said to us before we started. So that’s exactly what I did. I closed my eyes and pictured the steps needed to create a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. At last I had tamed my mind.

Ever since then I would lay in bed just picturing different things. Then I thought to myself, “If I can picture a sandwich or a glass of milk why can’t I create a castle and walk in it.” And so the sanctuary began being created. To this day I still walk in my castle whenever I am upset, mad, or any other strong emotion. For example, the summer of 2008 stretched the limits of my mind to the snapping point. It all happened on August 14th. I was hanging out with my friend at my house. My friend ended up sleeping over. The next day I walked him home and went to Great Adventure. I went on a roller coaster happy and boisterous. That’s when I got the news. My friend had been hit by a car. I couldn’t believe it. “They’re lying. This cant be happening. When I get home he’ll be waiting to hang out again.”

Well this wasn’t the truth. He passed away 20 minutes after he was air lifted. Those were the hardest three weeks of my life. However, my mind proved strong and shielded me from the pain. As I walked through my castle it helped me get through the tragedy. . I learned a valuable lesson from those days. I learned that no matter what happens I can always rely on my mind to take me in and care for me. My mind really is- my greatest sanctuary.