Finding a Niche

Tyler - Columbus, New Jersey

Have you ever had someone tell you that you could not do something? Furthermore, have you ever thought that you could not do something? All people have at one point.

I believe that I should not put myself down. There was once a time in my life when I felt that I was not capable of doing anything. I always looked at the negative aspects of situations. This all changed on one fateful day.

It was a hot, humid day in the month of July. I do believe the exact date just so happened to be July 22nd, 2007. I was walking into a small shopping complex, which just so happened to include a shop known as G&G Music, when I stumbled upon the most beautiful of items.

Staring at me through the window was a Fender Squire Precision Bass. It was fairly inexpensive and a beautiful shade of crimson. I simply had to have it. I glanced at the price tag. $225.00. I immediately pulled out my leather wallet and rummaged through its paper and metal based contents. I counted every single bill and each coin and saw that I had a grand total of $317.69. I quickly ran inside and purchased this lovely instrument.

From the first time I played, I was very skilled at the bass. I played with great speed and precision, slapping and popping as speedy as a stray cat being chased by a mongoose on a cold August night.

Being such a prodigy gave me hope for my life. It made me realize that I had something I was good at. Since that day I do not put myself down as much, because I have found my niche in life.

I believe I can do anything with my life. I believe that I have something I am talented at something, just like everyone else. I believe that all people are equal in music. Most of all, I believe that if I put myself down, I will not achieve my full potential in life, as a person, a student, an athlete, and as a musician.