I Believe in the Power of Music

Sara - Phoenix, New York

It may just be the generation that I have grown up in, but it seems to me that everyone is affected, in some way, by music. I walk through the halls of my high school and see students with headphones hanging from their ears. I hear them lightly tapping out a beat during class. And when a teacher releases their students to do some work on their own, the first question that is asked is, “Can I listen to my iPod?” They are not worried about finishing their work; they are focused on getting to listen to their music.

I think of the community band my father plays in every Monday night. The band is full of so many different people. Young, old, rich, poor, teachers, store clerks, business men, and so many more. But for those two hours every week they put aside everything in their life, all of their differences, and all of their worries, for the same goal; to make music. Two members of the band may have nothing else in common and not be able to stand each other really, but they don’t worry about that, they focus on the reason they are both there; to make music.

Have you ever sat through a concert or a show and listened to a song that was so full of emotion that you forgot to clap in the end? I can’t think of anything that is more powerful than a piece of music that leaves you feeling numb. In the ensemble I play in at school right now, we are playing a song called “Watchman Tell Us of the Night.” This is probably the most emotional song I have ever heard. After reading the story behind it, I can not help but get goose bumps when listening to it. I have never found anything more moving in my life than music.

I look back at my four years of high school and think about how much music has impacted my relationships. I am very musically active. I have been in band, chorus, and have participated in the school musicals. When I think about all of the other people that have been involved in the same activities with me, I think about how different we are. There are the “smart” people, the “nerds,” the “athletes,” the “nobodies,” and even the “popular” people. Even though I may never talk to that person outside of that room, for those few hours each day, we could consider each other friends.

I have found that music helps me get through the day. There are so many types of music that there is something out there for everyone. No matter what type of mood you are in, whether you may be happy, sad, in pain, or angry there is a song to help you get through it. That is why I believe in the power of music.