Horse Whisperer

Justine - Monterey, California

I believe that horses hold the key to relieving stress. I believe in their power to soothe the mind and understand a person’s sense of being. Horses possess an amazing ability to read people. Maybe it’s just the pure beauty and free spirit that these animals exude in our presence that helps us cope with setbacks and problems.

Just as many say they never forget their first kiss, I will never forget my first horse. Austin was white as snow with a kind heart and deep brown eyes that seemed to expose my soul when I looked into them. I loved that horse with every ounce in my body, and although he never spoke, I know he loved me too.

Whenever I was upset or stressed about school or home life, I would go see my Austin. His whole presence just calmed me; it was like my own 1,000-pound stress ball that would never let me down. I always thought to myself: what is it about these charming animals that help ease anxiety?

It was those deep, dark, and mysterious eyes that seemed to peer into my soul and grab a hold of me, as if Austin knew my thoughts and feelings. I looked into those eyes with those long thick eyelashes, and he hypnotized me into a tranquil state of mind where nothing bothered me.

It was that velvet soft nose that Austin would rub up against my arm, showing that he was there for me. I always thought of it as the horse’s own way of hugging and showing affection by using the softest part of his body. The small soft hairs would always tickle my arm while his warm breath would act as a small fan warming my skin.

It was also when riding Austin I felt free. Free from drama, free from worries…just free. Now I always feel connected with the horse as the wind blows through my hair and as I squeeze my legs tightly around his stomach.

But it isn’t just the eyes, or the nose, or the amazing feeling I feel when riding. It is all of these traits that make this animal so tranquil. A creature so powerful and strong has the ability to be delicate and calming. It’s more than being attracted to the beauty of this animal. It is a sense of peace that overpowers my soul and allows me to breathe a sigh of relief. Whatever was bothering me before is now lost in the deep eyes and the soft nose of my horse. It is now blowing through my hair just as the wind does when we run and are free.

Austin is no longer with me today but still remains in my heart. Just thinking about him now, I still feel as calm as I was with him years ago. I still believe that horses soothe a person’s body and mind. All of them still have those same deep brown eyes that peer into my soul. All have that same soft delicate nose that rubs against my skin. All of them give me that elusive feeling of freedom when I ride them. All of them brighten my spirits and calm my soul.