DAILIAN - THOMASVILLE, North Carolina

I am seventeen years old. I am the daughter of single mother and sister to three boys: Dariel who is ten, Stanley who is seven, and Freddy who is four. I have very extensive educational goals. Recently I realized that I wanted a job where I could make a difference in someone’s life. My dream is to become a pediatrician join a nonprofit organization and help children around the world.

The fact that my mother is a single mother and that I am the only girl and the oldest has placed some responsibilities on my shoulder that I would not have if it were not for this circumstance. Most of the time I complain thinking “this is not fair! Why do I have to take care of the boys? Why do I have to stop doing the things that I like so I can stay home and take care of them? Why do I have to teach them to do things? It is not my responsibility!” A few days ago I noticed that my brother Stanley, who is seven years old, does not know how to tie his shoes and he cannot read very well either. Freddy’s teacher sent home a note saying that he did not know his colors. I remembered writing in a school essay that I believe God a special job for everyone. It is a matter of whether or not the person accepts it. After giving what I had written some thought and examining what I wanted to do with my life ( help children around the world) I realized the children that need my help the most are the ones right next to me ; we live under the same roof: my brothers. That if I would have taken some time to read to Stanley maybe he would be a better reader and he would be doing better in school.

This is why I believe that being my brothers’ sister is my true purpose in this world. I was so focused on helping those who are far away from me, that I failed to notice that my brothers, the people closer to me, are the ones who need my attention the most. I am not saying that people should not help the children around the world (which I still want to do), but we should look around our communities, neighborhoods, and our homes and help those who are around us first, then go on and help those who are further away. I realized that I do not need to go to Africa or be a pediatrician to make a difference that will contribute to someone’s life.