Love, Truth, and Understanding

Jack - Neenah, Wisconsin

I believe in truth, love, and understanding. We all have to live together in this increasingly connected world. We must learn to understand each other. This doesn’t mean we all have to agree on everything, but that we all should respect on another enough to live together in peace. If we could learn to understand each other, we would be much slower at judging other people. We need be able to understand that we don’t know what other people have been through, so we can’t know exactly why they are the way they are. When we realize this, we can understand that we have no right to judge.

I believe that there is truth that applies to all people at all times. Even more I believe that there is a universal human law. Nearly everybody would agree that there is a universal truth. Not many people would argue that the earth is round. I believe that there must be a truth on moral behavior for all people. If someone’s child is murdered, it doesn’t matter if the culture accepts it or not, that person will feel the immorality of it in the emptiness and sadness that they feel. That doesn’t mean that there aren’t moral differences in culture. If you look at an Amish town, and then look at an island in the Pacific, you will find very different cultural norms in the way that people dress.

I also believe that the world could be a much better place if we all could learn how to love. It would solve so many problems. If we only loved other people even half as much as we do ourselves would there be over a billion people living in poverty? would there be up to 500,000 child soldiers in the world? If we loved others even half as much as we loved ourselves would we watch as eighty children die every day in Darfur? What is love? Love is caring for each other enough not to let this happen.