Memories are essential

Harris - Anaheim, California

I believe memories are essential to human life. Whether they are positive or negative, memories have a tremendous affect on our minor and major decisions in life. During rough times, memories of pleasure offer a temporary escape, which might be enough to last through any hardships that are causing concern. In contrast, they can also remind one about past choices that have created feelings of regret or remorse, thereby encouraging the person to presently make the wisest judgment. But the most important thing about memories is that they are undying. Money, happiness, friendship, and even love, are all evanescent; however, memories are definite. Even at my little experience, I have realized that memories have outlasted all of my emotions that are usually short-lived. Different from all else, memories are unbiased, but they depend on one’s prior experiences. Memories can torment, but also support; they can be relentless, yet gentle. To come to this idea, there was not only one moment that I went through, but of many throughout my childhood. However, I remember a simple, but prominent, event that took place a couple of years ago which had an enormous effect on what my opinion is now. My brother’s computer playlist had been on for countless hours, which I disregarded until I became bored with whatever activity I was doing. A record by hip hop artist, Mos Def, had come on, and his unique style and voice caught my attention to the point where I began listening to the lyrics. During a particular verse, I observed a particular set of lyrics that seemed distinct to me:

Memories don’t live like people do

They always remember you

Whether things are good or bad, it’s just the memories…

After comprehending the verse, I had an epiphany that the powers of memories are truly endless, a belief that I still stand by today. Memories possess the versatility that allows you to apply them to any situation. They can serve as one’s source of motivation, and another’s place of refuge. As I see it, memories are a bridge that mentally takes you away from the present to observe the past, and in turn, allows you to choose a crossing that ensures a better future. I believe that memories are the core for one’s determination and decisions that they make in life, but ultimately, the decision of acknowledging the past to change one’s future is dependent on the individual.