The Power of Pink

Winifred - Ada, Michigan

I believe in the power of pink. It may seem strange to apply any type of power to a color but pink is more than just a color. Pink has the power to identify the gender of a brand new baby in its infancy during that time period when a lot of humans look alike. It has the power to make most young girls smile and shriek with delight, especially if it is sparkly and glittery. The best bubbles always seem to be blown with pink bubble gum, its Bazooka’s color of choice. There are many simple pleasures that come to mind with the color pink. The tongues of puppies as they gleefully greet their owners, new spring tulips, the bright pink cheeks of a child’s face after playing outside in the snow as well as a ballerina’s tutu are just a few.

Although pink is typically associated with being a young girl’s favorite color it has also come to be a very powerful symbol of a grown women’s disease. All you have to do is be in Chicago, or any larger metropolitan area, sometime during the warmer months to see the power of pink at any of the many Breast Cancer walks or races. The streets come alive with participants and spectators wearing every shade of pink in every conceivable way! The power of pink has been used to help raise the funds needed to continue the fight to overcome this awful disease as well as to raise awareness in hopes that it will be detected at an earlier stage. I believe the power of pink can change the world.

Oddly enough pink was not my favorite color growing up. Only after working my way through the rainbow was I able to accept the fact that pink was the color for me. Not only does the color happen to look good on me, but just having it around me brings a smile to my face. In my world the color pink has the power to make just about anything enjoyable. I actually resisted it for awhile thinking that pink was for only prissy girls. But as I matured I realized that pink not only represents young giggly girls but that it is also a symbol of feminine strength.