Experience Life to the Fullest

Jessica - Long Beach, California

At some point in your lifetime, it’s a good idea to adopt a cat or dog from a nearby animal shelter. I may sound like just another person helping animals, however, the big topic here is you. I believe everyone should experience his or her life to the fullest. Think about it, you come home every day to a forever loving pet, because you saved both its life and your own.

How does an animal change your life? A dog needs long walks every day, so you and your dog exercise and get in shape. This, plus a healthy diet will increase your lifetime. Cats and dogs are also a cure for the sad, angry, boring or heartless times that everyone has. Animals are always curious and do the craziest things. Today, my kitten Twix stole a blue toothbrush from a plastic cup in the bathroom 4 times. Every animal has its own personality, but if you give it some love, you will get some back in the return. Animals express love in many ways: licking of the face or lying next to you for a dog. A cat will purr and lie or rub against you. Walking through your front door is the best experience with a pet. You know you are home when you take that first step into your house, and the cat or dog waits for you. Twix watches intensely like an owl from an old chair near the door, and my dog Sammy is always waiting as impatiently as a hyper squirrel. Sammy gets ecstatic as I walk through the door; she wags her tail so much that her butt shakes, and sometimes she will just run around for no reason.

How does an animal lengthen your life? In the U.S., about half of our population is overweight. This problem is easily solvable with exercise, such as walking a dog or jogging every day, and eating healthier; furthermore, fatty fast food places worsen the problem. All the owners’ care about is taking the money from overweight people, rather than saving lives. This may be hard to take in, but if you really care about your life, eat a salad, not a fatty, calorie packed burger. Your dream could be to run with your kids and show them anything is possible. I have seen families changed on The Biggest Loser and nothing compares to the triumph of conquering life and the world around you. Exercise changes you emotionally and physically for the better, so why not make a change in your life, an animal’s life, and everyone around you. An animal is one of the most enjoyable things anyone can have. A pet will save your life through happiness, fitness, and laughter.