Some Things You Never See Coming

Claire - Wellesley, Massachusetts
Themes: setbacks

After hours of anticipation and watching The Fairly Odd Parents, the only channel that worked, the wooden door that stood menacingly in front of me finally opened, and the person who walked through that door held all the answers to my questions. What was going to happen to me?

The three days I spent in the hospital seemed like a dream. This wasn’t happening to me, this was a different person, everything will be the same when I get home, I just need to get out. Nothing would ever be the same for me again. I have type one diabetes and my life has changed forever.

I believe that adversity builds character.

I will never forget that day, June 19th, 2007. The day I found out that my body no longer produces the hormone insulin that is needed to convert sugar, starches and other food into energy needed for daily life. Thankfully, I use an insulin pump that is used to deliver insulin into my body according to my blood sugar, which I test with a finger prick and my blood glucose meter, and how many carbohydrates I plan to eat.

My insulin pump also has another cool feature to it, other than it keeping me alive. I am currently enrolled in a clinical study for a new device called a sensor. The sensor is injected into my stomach using a needle then the needle is taken out and tiny wires are left behind. These wire are constantly testing my blood sugar, and although it may sound great, it isn’t completely accurate so I still have to prick my fingers multiple times each day. Sometimes I hate having the sensor but then I realize that in participating in this study I will, hopefully, one day better the lives of diabetics around the world just like me.

My grandmother has always been an inspiration to me considering how much she gives back to her community and I am very proud to say that she now considers me one of her role models. I love being a role model to people and show them that when life throws you something, you embrace that obstacle and turn it into something good that can maybe someday shape who you are. As my aunt always says to me “you aren’t a diabetic, but you have diabetes” she always reminds me to not make diabetes who I am, but the obstacle I face everyday.