Beauty in a Laugh

Amanda - Wellesley, Massachusetts

One who doesn’t laugh, doesn’t live. Luckily, I have 50 different laughs, except they’re all weird. People comment on how my laugh may be ‘cute’ or’ obnoxious’. But honestly, I love laughing too much to care. I believe that a laugh is not only a sign of true happiness, but also a way to define someone.

A smile can only cover up so much when it’s fake, but a laugh can’t be used as a mask. What you laugh at shows your sense humor, which is a key personality trait when first meeting someone. I laugh at almost anything, which is somewhat pathetic, but it’s who I am. When I was introduced to my cousin Casey, he right away made me laugh at some immature joke that only the both of us found humorous. I knew then that I enjoyed Casey’s company and was an easy person to get along with, just because we shared a huge common interest.

One rainy day, my friend and I went to see When a Stranger Calls, the new scary movie out in the theaters. Beforehand, we had bought a bunch of candy, and munched away with our eyes glued to the screen, hearts beating faster than usual to the horrible suspense. I had the reeces pieces, but eventually grew bored of them. Therefore, I placed them down on my lap, forgetting their sweet, sugary presence. My friend was feeling around for the bag of candy, trying to think of a distraction from the most frightening part of the movie. I couldn’t tear my eyes from the screen, and was on the edge of my seat, very alert. You could feel the tension of everyone in the theater, awaiting the fright that would soon follow. My friend finally discovered the candy on my lap. She reached over to grab them, but instead grabbed my side, awakening the nerves within me.

Once the interaction between hand and ticklish Amanda was made, I screamed out a rumbling laugh at full volume, causing the candy to tumble across the black, sticky floor. Once I’d realized what I’d done, I froze, gazing over the hundred or so eyes that stared down at me. Everyone had jumped, and thanks to my surprise, missed the best part of the movie. Although I was overcome with absolute embarrassment, I found what had just happened exceptionally hilarious, and again began to laugh; only this time, uncontrollably. My friend sank in her seat in complete embarrassment.

Even though most people would turn bright red, sink in their seat, and avoid eye contact with anyone while leaving the theater, I couldn’t help myself. I know that there are people throughout the world were their sadness overcomes their body to the extent were there is no happiness, no smiling, no laughter. I would prefer to laugh, and keep laughing because I know what it feels like not being able to; Something so wonderful should be cherished

One who doesn’t laugh, doesn’t live. I choose both.