Forgive Me, Please

Johnny - wellesley MA, Massachusetts
Themes: forgiveness

What would happen if you never forgave anybody for their mistakes, and nobody forgave you for yours, would you have any friends? Throughout my whole life, I will always be asking for forgiveness for my mistakes. My mistakes are usually because of my stupidity, or that I cannot keep my little wise mouth shut. I have learned that you must always ask for forgiveness no matter what, especially if a friendship is at risk.

Last summer, I was deciding if I wanted to go to camp for councilors in training. The ages of the kids we had to counselor for were from five to seven, which is the absolute worst age of children to put up with. Would I have to put up with their temper tantrums, bossy attitude, or being smashed in the face with something they threw at me? In the end, I decided to do it anyway. I went in on the first day, and to my surprise, I saw that one of my very good friends was there. I was so exited to see her because we only see each other during the summer.

Everything went perfectly well until the fourth week came, and everything turned sour. Me and some other people in the camp were talking, and we started to talk about my good friend. Before I knew it, I blurted out a deep secret about her I wish I had never said. Later that day, she found out I told people, and told me how she trusted me before and that she would never talk to me again. At that moment, I knew this was the end of our friendship forevever.

For the rest of the day, I thought of what I should say to her. The more I kept thinking about it, the more upset I became. I tortured myself so much about it that I finally lost it in front of everyone. I went outside upset and was followed by another friend who knew what was wrong, and who told me that I should just apologize. So I did, I must have said sorry in at least 10 different ways, but she just said, “you can be sorry, but nothing will change about my secret because everybody knows now”, then she just left.

The next day I came in and I my friend was at the door. She pulled me aside and told me how much she realized how sorry I really was, and said, “I forgive you”. After she said those words, I it felt like 50 pounds was lifted off my back. Then she came over and gave me a big hug, which showed me she really did forgive me. From this event in my life, I learned that forgiveness is huge, and you must ask for forgiveness because it is the right thing to do. It can save a friendship like it did for me, and you will always know that you did the right thing. Never be afraid.