Pride

Steven - COLUMBIA, Missouri

The other day I heard some one say, “You know, America is in real trouble.” It is true. Old Glory has never fallen so close to the earth. Our embassies are attacked, our diplomats are often in fear for their lives, and we are involved in a half dozen nameless and winless conflicts, with American boots spilling American blood on foreign soil.

The truth is-America’s real trouble does not lie in the sands of the cradle of civilization of Iraq, in the desolate mountains of Afghanistan or on the drug embattled southern border of the United States. The real trouble lies in the playgrounds of America, from our hillside mansions to the slums of our cities. The real trouble is a disease eating away at the heart of America. It lives in the small towns of the plains, the hamlets of the east, the super cities of the west and our streets in the Midwest. This plaque is apatheism.

We are the age of the American Cynic, living in the years’ of the unbelievers, and the day of American doubt. We have killed all the sacred cows and destroyed all the images of our great past, and we are left with nothing left to respect.

Old fashion passion of faith, country and family is passé. We stare at our shoelaces when we hear the National Anthem. We would not want to be seen at a political rally, or a town hall meeting. We have decided the only way to get into political office is to buy it. Our heroes are the fast guys and gals who get away with millions.

Patriotism, the old hand over the heart, flag waving, singing patriotism is condemned.

Thank about this: Patriotism, when you tear away the fancy phrases is plain and simple pride. The pride of America is lost in a newer car, prettier girl, bigger homes, and a pride of vanity.

Somewhere along our patriotic journey we have replaced our pride in America with self-vanity. We have sold our pride and we have let our government do the same.

We still insist the United States of America stands for the same ideas as our founders. I challenge you the next time you are at a social gathering ask someone to sing “America” and see what happens.

The basic ideals and structures of America have not changed. We have, you and me. Our enemies know it. They see on CNN the discontent and apathetic nature of our citizenship. Our enemies distort and blow up our mistakes. They are putting steel wedges in the cracks of our foundation. The new war on the United States of America is “Don’t attack America. Wear it down gradually, it will eventually fall under the weight of its own corruption.”

It looks like this rational is working.

Our once fierce fever for patriotism once stomped out by the torn and tattered feet of the continental army in 1776 and heard in the screams of a sinking battleship on the decks of the USS Arizona in Pearl Harbor are fading. This is Ancient Free and Accepted Masons’ general alarm to arms for American pride.

Our we going to let the vitality and spirit of the United States die in apathy? Our democracy is a frail and fragile instrument made of hope, reflection, and the spirit of patriots. It is clinging to life by the fourth of July, flag waving patriotism. We have almost exhausted our supply.

Try this test: lift your eyes to an United States Flag and sing out as loud as you can that out-worn antiquated freedom hymn you learned so many years ago:

“For purple mountains majesties above thy fruited plains, America, America! God shed his grace on thee.”

Now if you feel a little pride welling up inside of you; if you feel a little mist in your eye, then thank God for you. You are still an American. Never give up the fight and zeal for our country and the foundations our forefathers laid down.

“America, America, God shed his grace on thee, and crown thy good with brotherhood, from sea to shining sea.”