It’s Not All About The Presents

Ashley - Portland, Maine
Themes: golden rule

I could be rich, I could be poor, but all that matters is my effort to help or appreciate others. I believe that it is the thought that counts and nothing more. Sure, sometimes I may take advantage of those who can provide more, but for those who can’t do as much, they need to be appreciated just the same. When a family member gives me a gift that I have wanted for a long time I am equally grateful for it as I am for something that I could care less about. It’s not about what you receive, but the thought that comes with it.

I have a great-aunt who is someone I don’t see very often and am not that close to. I see her occasionally at family parties and talk to her a little bit as well, but other than that we don’t keep in touch. Out of the goodness of her heart, she always sends me a personalized birthday card with a picture that she has taken at a recent family gathering or me at a young age, and it always puts a smile on my face. This is pretty extraordinary because my sisters and I are the great-nieces so she has us and my cousins plus all of her closer family. Even though she doesn’t give money or gift cards, she still takes the time to write out the cards. I would take that over a gift card any day.

When I was sitting down in my classroom trying to think of examples to support my belief, I decided on a few different ways to think about it. One of which, is paying back your parents for all that they have done for you. I personally don’t think that it would be physically possible to do so. I, still being young, am not sure what my opinion will be when I am older, but right now I think that the best way to pay my parents back is to get good grades, excel in sports, make good choices, and most importantly, try my best. I said that trying my best was the most important because it ties in with my belief. As long as I try to make them proud, they will accept that as a thank you for all that they do for me.

As I was talking about the different points of view regarding this belief, I have one more that many people may agree with and another experience to back it up. When I was still in elementary school, about 1st grade, I remember riding the bus on my way to school and not feeling too well. I ended up throwing up all over myself and the seat. I had to wait until we got to school to call my mom so that she could take me home. But before we reached the school, there was a girl in the seat behind mine that started talking to me and made me feel a lot better. I don’t remember if I knew the person or not, but the point is that instead of being grossed out like the other kids, which I am sure she was too, she stayed beside me making me laugh until it was time to get off. What she was saying may not have even made me feel better at all, but just the fact that she said it was all that I cared about. As I said before, it’s the thought that counts and nothing more.

My sudden revelation, in which I decided my belief, is going to carry with me throughout my life. I have figured out that my belief is one of my golden rules and should be looked back on always. I will use this belief as a guideline to go by for now, even when I am an adult. I believe that it will take me far in life, as it shows respect and gratitude toward others. I will always try to be as respectful as possible and this belief will make it even easier to do so.