Accentuate the Positive

Heidi - Wausaukee, Wisconsin
Themes: purpose, setbacks

Accentuate the Positive

All things work together for the good, this I believe. Besides being a verse found in the bible it is one of my core beliefs. Everything that happens to me in life has a reason. I look for the life lesson that I am supposed to draw from each experience I encounter. It’s the idea of taking any event, experience, or encounter and gleaning the positive. Focusing on the positive helps me from getting stuck in a holding pattern and gets me moving forward in a more desirable direction with a better attitude.

So much has happened in the past six years: I’ve lost my younger and only sister, divorced my husband of eight years the day before we buried her, lost my father three months later, lost my job three years later, oops they needed me back for a year, then lost my job again, and now I’m training for a career that I have absolutely no experience in. Oh, yeah, and God bless me, my dog died, I turned forty this past summer, and broke up with my boyfriend of five years! Sounds like the makings of a country music chart topper. When it’s written in black and white it looks overwhelming, but I took each event one day at a time and looked for what I was supposed to learn from each experience. I believe God doesn’t give me more than I can handle. I also believe He gives me these opportunities to learn, grow, and become a better person. Regardless of whether you are Christian or not, the power of positive thinking is profound.

Losing my sister was the most devastating. She was my best friend. Her death is still unknown. How could I possibly make sense of losing her? Then I ran into someone who had also lost a loved one and he told me a story about God and his garden, how God only picks the best vegetables when they are ready. I couldn’t help but feel like God sent that person to help me through. Then with dad dying three months later, it was numbing. But, out of all of this, my mother and I ended up strengthening our relationship. My story isn’t so different from any other human being trying to survive this thing called life. What may be different is how I react to life. There is always a positive to be found in even the bleakest of times. Now more than ever does our country and our world need to assert a positive outlook on the future.

I heard someone describe people as rocks in a tumbler getting polished to become beautiful gemstones. I do feel like a rock in the tumbler of life and as I learn and grow from life lessons, getting knocked around in the tumbler, I am polishing my strengths and knocking loose my weaknesses. Thanks to life, every day I sparkle just a little bit more.