Life, Death, and the Power of Laughter

Michael - Elmhurst, Illinois

Are you currently leading a good life? Have you ever thought about the fact that whenever you wake up in the morning, go out your door or go to bed at night it could be the last time you do so? I believe that when we can look death straight in the eyes and laugh in his face and say to him, “I don’t fear you!”, then we have overcome mortality and the burdens and fears of man that come along with it. I believe we should not fear the fact that one day we will die; it is a natural part of the life cycle. I believe we should not wait until it is too late; to live a fruitful life. I believe that we should take risks and have fun instead of realizing when it is too late how little we actually accomplished. Some people when they know they are dying will tell stories of their life, many filled with regrets they have of what wrongs they committed and also regrets of the many goals they didn’t have time to accomplish. I believe that these stories of regret are a great piece of wisdom that will help us to live a better life and to use our time more wisely. When I die I would like to be able to say unto my children, grandchildren, and hopefully great-grandchildren that, “I have lived a good life and I have made the best of the time given to me” and then I would say to them, “the secret to living a good life is: not to wait to live and not to fear death, laugh when you face death and don’t have regrets, last of all say to yourself ‘I have lead a good life’.” I believe that we should help others to laugh because laughter is healing for the soul. Laughter helps us forget our worries and cares, it helps us to see a brighter side of life, and last of all it shows others we aren’t afraid. I believe that we should go through life with a smile and a laugh, take risks, accept the hand life deals us, be brave, stay strong and be happy. I believe these guidelines will help us to live a good life or at least a better life.