Life Is Fair

Tyler - Elmhurst, Illinois

Life Is Fair.

I believe that life is fair. I’m only eighteen now but this is my honest view of the world and life in general. Whenever fairness is brought up, my classmates normally stray away from it and when asked “do you think Life is fair?” reply simply, “No.”

“There is way too much bad going on in the world like wars, genocide.” They’d continue.

But the only reason why this happens is because of us. We’re the ones who have created all the bad. In our most primal state there was less fighting and obviously no genocides. So when the person replies with “no”, I replay with “yes”. I believe that Life is fair.

In the fifth grade our family dog Cassie died. For sixteen years she was a child to my parents. But my mom was probably the closest with Cassie. When my mom was pregnant with me, Cassie even went through a false pregnancy. After I was born she never left my side, literally.

In the following years we have moved from place to place. As we moved the toll was taken on our beloved dog. She started becoming very old and very sick. She developed some kind of cancer in her stomach that almost made it impossible for her to eat.

One early morning while living in Shaker Heights Ohio, everyone was awakened from our deep sleeps from my mom calling to all of us. Cassie would not get up or respond to any of us. Being only ten I didn’t understand what was happening, no one explained what was going on so I just sat next to her and kept to myself. I remember my brother Brandon repeating “life isn’t fair”; this struck me because I finally understood.

My mom broke by saying she had to get ready for work and told my dad to take Cassie to the vet now.

“Brandon go start the car, the keys are on the hall-tree.” He ordered my brother. I sat there with my dad just staring at Cassie not talking. I recall being so furious at my mom for leaving for work while our family member was in such pain not realizing she couldn’t stand to be there, it was too much for even her.

With Cassie in the back of our little burgundy Saab. We drove off to the nearest veterinarian hospital, which was luckily just down the street. The green door at the front stated that they should have been open, but no one answered our urgent knocks. We got directions from someone about another one just being across town. The drive took days for me, with Cassie’s head on my lap. I was dying inside. Life was not fair.

Pulling up to the hospital I remember the house like building being this very warm and welcoming lavender. We parked and my dad jumped out without even turning off the car, Brandon had to. He took Cassie inside. Dad came out a couple of seconds later. The three of us stood there, in the warm and colorful waiting room. The vet called the three of us into the room. She talked to my dad while Brandon and I stood next to Cassie. He told us to say goodbye. We took turns, all hugging and kissing our favorite dog goodbye. I remember I looked her in the eyes and told her ‘good-night Cassie’. After that she was given a shot and that was it. She was still then.

The drive home was one I would love to forget but never will. Through out the day, life was not fair to the Willey family. However looking back on this day I now believe that this sort of thing has to happen, everything and everyone must pass. That no one really appreciates what they have in the now. If people would just look at what they have and just be happy, I think that there would be a lot less drama, and people in general would be happier. Cassie lived for a long and exciting sixteen years. This I believe, Life is fair.