Flower Children of Forever

Kendra - Elmhurst, Illinois
Themes: change

How many people does it take to change the world? How about a light bulb? Why is it that we always seek to know, and then wish that we didn’t? To me, these questions have always been rather dead-end, in a way. They either have a single answer or no answer at all. The focus, in this case, is on finding the answer, when the question is the thing that we all should be looking at. What is there to be learned from the question?

I see people walking by, and I wonder where they’ve been, and where they’re going. I want to know how they came to be who they are, and how I can help them to grow. That is really all I want out of life- to be able to help people grow. And let’s face it- teaching is probably the most accessible way to help people grow emotionally. Teachers are always opening the minds of their students, helping them see something that wasn’t there before. I get a rush out of sharing knowledge. Who was it that said: “A mind once stretched by a new idea never regains it original dimension.”? It is an eye-opening piece of thought. No one can say that after hearing of some important piece of news that they could ever go back to the way things were before.

But this is not to say that all change within a person is negative. Think of the people from the 80’s who look at their pictures from that decade. Surely, they see the improvement upon themselves and their world. Change, in most cases, is a positive thing to look toward. Were it not for change, then the world would be exactly as it had always been, and remain a cold, dry rock, floating in the vacuum abyss of space. With each day comes a chance to change something else, to bring something new to the equation, and to make life better for the future.

To enact this sort of change is what I want to do. Though it is impossible to ensure that the change affected be positive, I will certainly do my best to leave the world a better place than I found it. In my opinion, that involves teaching. I want to help others to grow, and bloom as they become ready. There is little better that we can do than to broaden another’s horizons, so that another may see the forest rather than just the trees.