Leaving Everyone Behind

Mitchell - Elmhurst, Illinois

Have you ever gotten that thought where you can only depend on yourself? Are there times in life when you really can’t trust anyone? A lot would like to think that the word “trust” is one of the most important traits in life. However, in the long run, can you really trust anyone? I’d rather think not. I believe the only person you can truly depend on your entire life is yourself. Sometimes, you’re going to have to do things yourself, or you can’t continue to move forward.

Baseball was always the most important thing in my life as far back as I can remember. I was playing many games each year, to the point where I wanted to bring competition to the next level. I decided to play for a traveling team in 6th grade. When the season had come, I was overwhelmingly excited; I was convinced I’d get plenty of playing time as the others. However, things happen that you least expected; I never played. From that point on, it became very difficult to trust a coach’s assurance that I would not be sitting on the bench. Finally it was my sophomore year of baseball. Because I had a very good freshman year, I was looking forward to a lot of playing time. Once again though, things did not exactly go my way. I had two at-bats the whole year; otherwise I only pitched. From this point, I grew into a very independent person. When the summer season came around, I remember what my grandfather had told me. He said “there will be moments in your life w here you have to do things for yourself, when others have disregarded you.” I took that into consideration. I really didn’t care about anyone besides myself anymore in regards to baseball. It wasn’t that I was selfish; it was that I did not feel associated with this team anymore. I was only able to tolerate so much to the point where I was disassociated with everyone else. There was no desire inside me to be part of this team anymore; I was out there for myself. Who’s to blame me though? Sometimes selfishness can only help us move in life. It can be a lonely road, but it keeps our minds mutual and helps us not to forget about ourselves.

I never would have thought that doing things on my own would be one of the greatest things that had ever happened to me. However, it was individuality and independency that has helped me through everything. I have learned not to care for too much in the world; because eventually it will all be over. It won’t even be worth it in the end. You can’t move yourself forward, until you put the past behind you, and learn to do things on your own.