A Table of Words

Francesca - Elmhurst, Illinois
Themes: family, place

A Table of Words

When you look in the mirror in the morning do you like and know exactly who is staring back at you? Going to college in a few months has really made me question who I am and who I want to become. Throughout my youth I have gone through phases like water, friends like apple juice and mood swings like a never-ending roller coaster. Never knowing if I was going to come home in tears or a bright big smile and a story to tell, my family has always been there. Even if I hadn’t seen them all day I know that everyone will be seated at the dinner table at six sharp. Ready for a meal to fill their bellies and advice on call for every situation. From my first footy princess pajamas to my 8th grade attitude, at the table I’m just a daughter and a sister.

The steamy aroma of homemade marinara sauce bubbling in the pan next to a fresh pound of pasta was a welcoming scent that opened up my nostrils as I came through the door. All my life I have grown up around the kitchen but it is the dinner table that is my favorite part of the house. The table is where everyone always has their special seat waiting for them. It is where you can be yourself no matter who that is at the moment. My grandfather always told me to appreciate my parents and thank them for everything they have given me. Almost every time my response was as nonchalant as if he asked me to pass the bread. Yet, family isn’t just like passing bread at the table; they are the water that replenishes your throat after the bread gets lodged. Family is always there to help relieve your worries, without recognition of their deed because it is truly out of the goodness of their heart. Their unconditional love should be noticed. Answering him “Papa I know, I do appreciate everything they give me, goodness!” Truth is I never realized how easy it was to push away family because they are always going to be there. Friends are different, if you are not a good friend they will just choose to leave you. How many friends have you kept throughout your life? As the bread basket was making its way around the table, each person carefully choosing their very favorite to eat, I reached for my glass of water, smiled, and said “thank you.”