Ten Little Words

Stephanie - Wellesley, Massachusetts

Ten Little Words

Someone once told me I need to have more confidence in myself, because I deserve to.

It was a warm day at summer camp, and I lay on the grass surrounded by friends. The sun beat down on faces that will forever be engraved in my memories. The sweet summer air was filled with laughter and talking. Camp was almost over and nobody wanted it to end. We had all worked together for four weeks straight and couldn’t imagine leaving each other. We would especially miss the people who were 15 years old, meaning that it was there last year as a camper, and we worried that we may never see them again. As we took advantage of these last moments together, someone suggested that we play a game. Everybody agreed and we decided on the game Taps.

This is how it worked. Everyone closed his or her eyes except for one person who was the leader. The leader, my friend Harry, then tapped three or four people to be ‘tappers’. Then he would say a statement like, “Tap someone who you will miss after camp ends,” or “Tap someone who taught you something this summer.” With every time you were tapped, your confidence was boosted a little bit. But then Harry said, “Tap someone who you think deserves to have more confidence.” I felt a tap on my forehead; that small gesture has changed me ever since.

It was weird to me that I would be tapped for this statement, because I didn’t see myself as lacking confidence. But I soon realized that they were right. I needed to boost my confidence bigtime, and it was time to start. I never thought that ten little words could change me so much.

I love to sing and my dream is to become a professional singer. Before that summer, I had auditioned for a solo in chorus, and even though I got it, when performance time came around I froze and got all shaky. I knew that I had a big obstacle to overcome if I ever wanted to be a singer, because I would be performing in front of millions of people and I could not be getting nervous like that. But recently, I auditioned for another solo, which I also got. But this time on the night of the concert I didn’t freak out or freeze, I sang strongly and was very proud of what I had done. That night I realized how much I had grown. I thought of that day at camp, and recognized that I did gain more confidence, and that felt really great.

I now believe that having confidence in yourself is the only way to accomplish your dreams, and I have kept that in mind ever since that day at camp.

I will never know who tapped my forehead. But I hope they know how strongly it affected me, and how it has helped me to move forward with singing and to be more confident ever since.