hannah - los alamitos, California

It was the quietest time of day as it seems the whole world is sleeping. You can hear the most subtle sounds and notice the most obscure details. It starts as a distant rise in the horizon and you wait for what you know will be a glorious event. You hope not to be disturbed and you feel like you’re the only person witnessing this breathtaking event.

This event had become more significant as my late aunt who was everything to me had told me this and left it in a note before she passed. And as I think of that sunrise peaking into the sky I see her, and I remember the things about her that I didn’t even know that I knew. And yet somehow as I was sitting on the porch freezing cold I suddenly was so warm because of these wonderful feelings and memories rushing through me.

This perception comes up mainly around Easter when I believe Jesus is resurrected. Many people attend sunrise services at that time to experience the emotions of witnessing a sunrise and feeling of rebirth or the renewal of life.

However, this is an event that is not reserved as a Christian experience or as a once a year event. This is time well spent in meditation and reflection of the happenings in ones life at any time of the year. We will all easily admit that it is very difficult to wake up when it’s still dark out or stay up all hours of the night, and well put it off until a time that we claim is more convenient. But for many that time will not come. No one has ever complained about witnessing this glorious event, and its positive effect on their emotional well-being.

So, this I believe – it is well worth the effort to watch a sunrise and feel its effect in enriching your daily life. The silence, the contemplation, and the beauty will leave you awestruck. And I thank my dearly loved aunt for the gift she gave me in appreciating each day’s sunrise.