Holli - Bishop, Georgia
Themes: Christianity

I sometimes used to question God’s existence. I went through so much while I was in eighth grade. I went against a lot of what my parents said; I lied to them about mostly everything. My friends started to notice the change in me, and they didn’t want a friend like I was at the time.

I didn’t realize until after middle school all that I was doing wrong. I soon decided it was time for a change for the better. I then joined a small group from church that consisted of about ten girls. I was a bit nervous to begin with because all the girls were older than me and not exactly what I would call my type of friend. They were all the perfect, tan, gorgeous, typical cheerleaders, while I was just a plain, old, softball player. I soon became really close to them, which I thought would never happen because of our totally different lifestyles. Even though I was younger than all of the girls, I knew I could go to them for anything, and they were always going to be there for me. The small group’s name was “The Shinin’ Sistas” because our goal was to shine for Jesus and point others in his direction.

“The Shinin’ Sistas” met twice a week every week. We met on Wednesdays and Sundays. One Wednesday night while at Jittery Joes, one of my “sistas” walked in and was very upset. She soon told us the doctors think her mom had breast cancer. We all told her how sorry we were to hear the bad news, but we would be praying each and every day for her mother and family.

I’m not sure how much the other girls prayed for her and her family or if they even did. All I know is I did all I could and prayed for her every time I got the chance because I loved her and didn’t want to see her nor her mother hurt.

The next week we met, and she informed us all her mother went to the doctor to see if she had cancer. Due to the greatness of God, the results turned out she didn’t have cancer and everything was going to be okay.

Through that one week, I saw how great God really is. It showed he really did hear me when I was praying, and he really existed. I no longer have to question his existence or love due to this experience. I believe if one prays with faith, God will answer in the way he knows is best.