The Runaway

James - Uijeongbu, Gyeonggi-Do

I believe in the young girl I met in February 2008. I believe she has potential. I believe that her inherent goodness should not be forgotten. I believe her reasons for running away were real. I believe she should not be deleted from the system. I believe her step mother should not have hit her. I believe her father should not have touched like that. I believe that her silence was a cry for help. I believe I failed her as a teacher. I believe she should not come back home. I believe that things are not so simple. I believe the pimp that took her in should be castrated. I believe it’s not her fault. I believe her mother cries in heaven. I believe the men that touch her should suffer as she does. I believe life is too hard for the young. I believe that sometimes there are no bridges over the troubled waters. I believe sometimes you must swim through. But I believe you can come out clean on the other side. And I believe life can begin again. And I can’t help but believe that God’s a father to the fatherless. And I can’t live without believing there is hope. And I believe in fighting. And I believe in overcoming. And I believe you will make it my little one. I believe you are stronger than you think you are. Oh little one, I believe in you. This I believe.