The End….

Christina - wellesley, Massachusetts
Themes: hope

“The end” is a lot like being trapped in a box, nowhere to go because you are enclosed by four walls, but if you don’t seal that box the possibilities are endless. I believe in never assuming that there’s no other option or way out in life.

The summer or fourth grade was completely chaotic for me. My family decided it was time to move out of the house owned by the college down the road and into something bigger that we could call our own. When we decided on a house not to far from our old one, we encountered a problem that seemed small but to me very important. We had moved to another district. Before the move, I went to Sprague with all the friends I had been with since 1st grade. Leaving them and having to start over seemed impossible. How could I possibly leave when I only had one more year left of elementary school? Could I really be expected to start over and that quickly make up for 5 years at a new school? I knew there had to be someway to fix the problem, or at least make it better. And in reality, there was.

Realizing that life only ends when you grow old or sick, not when you feel there is no escape taught me I can be strong when I feel weak and that there is always a light at the end of the tunnel, no matter how dim. I believe life is too short to cheat yourself of the opportunities that await just because of temporary roadblocks that stand in the way.

I believe a period in writing is a lot like a goodbye in life. It represents the end. I hate goodbyes. I prefer “see you later’s”. See you later’s leave room for more, as does an ellipsis. When you allow yourself to see the “dot dot dot” at the end of a devastating situation, all of a sudden it doesn’t seem that devastating. When people close to me move away, I know I wont be able to see them all the time, but I also know that we can still be close no matter how far because relationships don’t end unless you want them to. A quote that stuck to me after hearing it in the movie Garden State helped me to put my belief into words, ” This isn’t a conversation about this being over, I’m not putting a period at the end of this, I’m putting an ellipsis on it.”

No matter what the situation, I believe that you should never end with a period, always an ellipsis. That’s why I make sure to never seal that box.