Life is Precious

Courtney - Peachtree City, Georgia
Themes: carpe diem

Life is Precious

Every morning I woke up. I went throughout the day working through the struggles and rejoicing in its gifts. Then every night, I went to bed. The next day the routine would repeat. Each day was lived without a thought to be thankful for waking up, for the struggles I was given, for the day’s gifts, or for the good night’s sleep. Life was usually “just too busy” to stop to consider these trivial matters.

Death caused my whole perspective to change. It occurred to me, whenever I heard of a sudden death, a death of a loved one, a death of a young one, someone healthy, or even someone old and sick, that I never know what could happen to me. There could be a morning where I wouldn’t wake up. There could be a night where I would fall asleep forever. Rather than let this realization stress me out, worry me, or cause me to become paranoid about when my time would come, I began to recognize each day as a gift. It occurred to me that life is simply too precious to live ungratefully and half-heartedly.

I began with thanking God for life itself. There are many children who do not get the chance to experience life. Miss carriages, still-born babies, abortions, and complications at birth occur all too often in our society. One of my own siblings was miscarried; he never got to feel my mom hold him, play with other children, go to school, grow up, or create a family. I moved on to the big things in life: family, friends, education, a home, food, and clothing. Then I came to the conclusion that the seemingly minor things helped make my life special as well. Before, it had never occurred to me to be thankful for my struggles. I began to thank the Lord for the trials placed before me, both big and little. I became conscious of the fact that I shouldn’t let the little tiffs in life bother me. In the big picture, they are miniscule. Instead, I should realize that they are a part of growing up. They are a part of life itself. They too are precious.

So now I wake up every morning, thankfully. I go throughout the day working through the struggles and rejoicing in its gifts, appreciatively. Then every night, I go to bed, gratefully. The next day the routine repeats and my thankfulness remains. After all, life is precious.