I Believe in Smiles

Nicole - Fayetteville, Georgia

I Believe in Smiles

“Brett, Erin, and Nicole come on we have to go now,” cried my mom from the kitchen. We were going to be late like we usually were and my mom hated it when we were late. My brother, sister, and I were always taking our time getting ready on Wednesday mornings, knowing exactly where we were going to be at eleven am that day. We finally arrived at our destination promptly ten minutes late as usual. Everyone was in their seats and ready to play. We were not the only volunteers there but probably some of the ones that had the most impact. We were at the Peachtree City Nursing Home helping out with the elderly people.

At the Peachtree City Nursing Home, Wednesday mornings have an organized Bingo game going on for the elderly people. Always, when we first got there my brother, sister and I did not have the best attitudes and they showed. We would just mope around and wait until one of the adults would ask us to assist one of the older people that needed our help. It was usually when we were helping them put a certain piece on the bingo board, or when they needed us to point out if they had bingo or not that we would realize why it was important that we were there. Just our standing next to them and helping them out put huge smiles on their faces. You would be able to see an older person, who did not look happy at all to be taken out of their room to play bingo, have a huge smile on their face just simply because someone was kind enough to smile first. I believe that by just simply smiling you can make someone’s day.

Going to the Peachtree City Nursing Home every Wednesday morning throughout my whole summer helped me to realize the impact one person can have on another person’s life. Even if it is so little as just smiling. Seeing the huge smiles on their faces made me feel good and made waking up early and spending two hours out of my day there completely worth it. Even though every week I would be annoyed when my mom woke me up I would go anyways, knowing that if I didn’t there might not be enough volunteers that day. Once when we first arrived to the lunch hall, where bingo took place, a volunteer came up to my brother and told him that one of the ladies, who plays bingo, would not leave her room unless he went and got her. Minutes later my brother rolled her into the lunch hall and on her face was an unmistakably huge smile.