faith of humanity

Lauren - Los Alamitos, California

I believe in the faith of humanity and that it is our duty to help those in need. I belong to an organization called National Charity League which assists people with disabilities and families that do not contain the daily essentials for a healthy lifestyle. The organization helps support people trying to restart their lives and it helps them to continue to stay on a positive path. Even though it may be a challenge, National Charity League strives to provide assistance to anyone in need.

Every year, I participate in an event called Jonathan Jaques Jog-a-thon. The event is arranged for Children with cancer and rare blood diseases. Basically, it is a fundraiser in which the children dash a 1/8 mile surrounded with many supporters. A variety of celebrities appear to support the children each year; they jog alongside the disabled, hold posters, and encourage them. By presenting support to the children, the celebrities give them the hope and courage to continue fighting their tough battles against their illness. The disabled kids receive decorative posters that are hand-made for them and a gold torch to accompany them on their run; this symbolizes the “endless flame” to continue fighting off the disease and to continue living. While running, they pass to torch to the other ill participants illustrating how there is always someone there to lend a helping hand. Most of the kids keep and cherish their posters; some savor them for the rest of their lives; and some are even buried with them. By making this little contribution to these victims, some of their lives are changed forever.

Ability First is another organization that National Charity League contributes to and supports. This group provides many activities and games for the disabled. For example, they throw exhilarating holiday parties to get the disabled people interacting with each other to lift their spirits and to teach them how to interact with one another. In addition, they provide a day care facility to families to support them and to give them the opportunity to work and carry out their daily activities. When attending their dances, I help set up the decorations and I also help entertain the disabled people by talking to them and keeping them involved. I strive to help them have a good time and to make sure that nobody is left out.

As well, We Care is an association that provides money to the families to help them live on a daily basis. On Saturdays, we have a food drive to collect food for the many families in need. After the food drive, we sort the items and put together crammed food packages for individuals or families in need. These packages are then distributed to the families that come in looking for help. In addition to the food drives, we solicit donations and we use the proceeds to purchase backpacks and school supplies. We fill the backpacks with the needed school supplies for the children at the beginning of each school year and distribute them accordingly. This not only helps the poverty-stricken families financially, but it also helps the underprivileged children begin the school year with the proper supplies and it helps lift their spirits.

In conclusion, National Charity League is a wonderful organization that helps individuals and families in need. This organization provides faith of humanity to many people in need: by raising money, providing donations and by spending time with the needy and showing them that they are important and loved. I believe that it is important to give back to the community and to help the needy.