2 hours

Greg - Mariett, Georgia
Themes: work

I believe in 2 hours every other day. “You’re never going to be anybody. You do not possess the skill or work ethic. Give up now and stop wasting your life.” I was eight years old and just moved from Maryland to Georgia. I had played tennis for about a month before I had moved and I thought I was considered as a decent player. My new coach in Georgia obviously did not think the same way as my coach in Maryland.

It was the first match I had ever played and I was trying not to mess up. I was playing three singles and I got killed, 8-2, my coach was not happy at all so he started yelling and screaming. Telling me I was worthless at the sport and that I would never be good enough to play another match in my life. I did not know what to think. From that moment on I decided to make tennis a major part of my life. Every day my work ethic grew stronger hitting 100 serves before I could go home. Running sprints until I couldn’t move anymore. My coach still wasn’t happy with me for the rest of that season I didn’t play a single match.

This made me increase my practice times from 1 hour to 2 hours every other day. The next season I joined a different team and played one singles and I won every match even against my former team. Without the work ethic and desire I put forth I would have never reached that turning point. It’s 7 years later and I now play 2 singles on my high school team, next in line to the 60th ranked player in Georgia. I made it to this point through the work I have put forth without it I would be no where. I still hear those words my coach told me, they run through my head before every match. “You are never going to be anybody. You do not possess the skill or work ethic. Give up now and stop wasting your life.” So you ask me what I believe in and I will say 2 hours every other day.