Hugs: The Cure with Two Arms

Taylor - 02482, Massachusetts

“Hugs are the universal medicine.”

Before leaving my house for the night, I hear a quiet “Bye Taytay.” It came from my little sister, Regis, who is usually loud and in your face. As I turn to say bye, I see her arms are open wide and expecting a hug. Instead of my usual “Kay bye,” I lean down to hug her back. Walking out the door, I hear her high pitched voice again and see a smile painted across her face.

I believe in hugs. There are so many types of hugs: tall kid hugs, short people hugs, sweaty hugs, cold hugs, warm hugs, awkward hugs, long hugs, and surprise attack hugs. There are so many reasons for hugs: a quick “hello,” a last “goodbye,” excitement that cannot be contained, happiness, tears that cannot be stopped, or just because you love someone. But you can never go wrong with a hug.

I never seem to hug my parents. And when I do, it is such a shock to them. My mom tries to hug me some days as I leave for the bus stop, and naturally, I roll my eyes with an annoyed, “Mommmmmm, I need to go,” and a leap out the door. My dad doesn’t seem to try anymore. Lately my parents have been spending the weekends stripping the wallpaper in my sister’s room and trying to decide on a paint color. My room is next door, and my only reasons to visit her room have been to ask them to quiet down, or to verify plans for the day. One day, as I returned from downstairs, I stopped in to the busy room. My dad was right inside the door and I reached up to give him a hug. I felt him jump a little and, confused, he asked, “Is there something you want?” I didn’t understand and he clarified, “Well, I thought that since you’re hugging me you must want something…” I was then the one to jump back as I assured him I just wanted a hug. He smiled and hugged me back. I ran over to hug my mom, and despite the look of shock on her face, she smiled with us.

I am definitely not the only person I know who likes to give hugs. Whenever I think of hugs, one of my friend’s names comes to mind. Elisa. If her bubbly personality and permanent smile can’t cheer you up, her hugs are sure to. Sitting at lunch, my head down, not having the best day, I feel small arms wrap around my waist, a side attack. Slightly annoyed, I look up to see Elisa’s glowing, smiling face. She proceeds to hug me as my smile grows. Because of that five second hug, my day was much better, my head no longer looking down.

Receiving a hug is the best reminder that someone loves you. They don’t need to use words, just their two arms opened wide. Who was the last person you hugged?