I Believe In The Ceiling

Hannah - Grayson, Georgia
Themes: death, family

I Believe In The Ceiling

I have two brothers and four sisters. Jason and his twin are the oldest. Megan starts the trail of sisters. Then, comes Kelly, I’m next, Katherine would have been the baby, but Erin took over that title when she was born.

I have never been able to sit and talk with, play with, or really do anything at all with Jason’s twin or Katherine. I have had plenty of experiences with my other four siblings, but only one with my sister Katherine.

When I was only three years old my family of six at the time was crammed into a little hotel room in Indiana visiting my great grandmother. I was lying on the bed in between my parents looking up and talking to the ceiling. My mom and dad both kept asking who I was talking to. Finally, I turned to them and told them, “I’m talking to Katherine.”

My parents froze, bewilderment spread across their faces, wondering, “How can she possibly remember Katherine? She was only two at the time.”

But I wasn’t finished quite yet, “She wants me to tell you she loves you and you don’t have to worry about her anymore. She’s alright.”

I do not remember this myself but my mom recently reminded me of it. Katherine would have been two years younger than me, and about to turn sixteen. I still wonder what it would be like to have Katherine around, but I know I don’t have to worry about her. God sent her to us then realized how precious she is and brought her back up to Heaven with Him as one of his little angels.

The only explanation I can give to my parents now about how I knew who Katherine was is simple. We might have never met, but she knows who her big sister is and I will never forget my little sister.

I believe in family. I believe in angels. I believe in remembrance. I believe in the ceiling.