Laugh at Yourself

Kashife - Bronx, New York

Laugh at Yourself

Have you ever sat in your school cafeteria and made jokes with your friends? Everyone’s laughing and eating, almost choking on their food because of the pure hilarity of the conversation. Then, all of a sudden they start talking about you! They simultaneously come to the conclusion that you do the quirkiest things and you just don’t seem to notice. They ask you seemingly ridiculous questions like why do you do that little snort after you laugh? Why do you hum when you eat? Why do you only slurp when you drink orange juice? Then they come up with a marvelous revelation, such as “You always put ketchup on your turkey sandwiches, what a weirdo!”

What’s the best thing to do in a situation like that? Should you huff and puff and tell them everything that’s wrong with them? I say you should laugh. Why not? Once, my mother said I have one of the funniest sounding laughs she has ever heard. I didn’t defend myself, why waste time? We both spontaneously laughed at how dumb my laugh is. If you can’t laugh at yourself then you’ll quickly find you don’t enjoy life and people seem to bore you. Why? They can’t tell you the funny things you do. Plus, if you can’t take it then you can’t give it. Making fun of your friends is a great source of entertainment and they should feel comfortable “giving it” back to you. So go on, laugh at yourself. Whether you chuckle or you damn near roar, just laughing at yourself can put on the faces of everyone around you, or even better, a few tears caused by uproarious laughter.