Love Can Conquer All.

Taylor Ann - Wilmington, North Carolina
Themes: addiction

I believe that love can conquer all. That addiction and pain can be treated if you have someone to help you guide yourself through it.

I met Cailie on a cold December evening at a friend’s party. She was all balled up against the couch, watching Family Guy, looking as if she doesn’t even have a clue as to why she was here.

Cailie stiffen once I sat down, glanced at me, then focused back at the TV. A sudden movement was all it took, and I saw the black-and-blue bruise on the side of her hip. Of course, I had no clue to what happened, but as usual, I was kind of curious.

To make this story short, I got close to her. She told me everything after a while of talking. It was as if I became her best friend within a matter of hours. I understood her, became part of her; I even felt her pain, addiction, and fear.

Raised by an abusive father, mother was never home or cared to even listen to her cry for help. She was shipped from family member after family member, until she finally found a relative that would keep her.

She hated herself more than I could have ever imagined possible. For years, she was stuck on diet pills, or throwing up, but nothing ever satisfied her. She started cutting and no matter how much she tried to stop, she couldn’t.

She met this boy, and he told her she was his world. He took her away, made everything go away, but only for a while. His anger got to the best of him and he started wailing on her. She was covered head to toe in bruises but she could only blame herself.

Cailie tried running away from it all by attempt of committing suicide. She would try for days…but nothing seemed to work. Pills, no they didn’t affect her, cutting, she wouldn’t dare cut deep enough, or even jumping, but there was always someone to catch her.

I helped her; she isn’t with the guy anymore. He isn’t even aloud to be anywhere near her. She goes to counseling once a week at exactly nine am. She still cuts, but nearly not as much as she use to, it’s a working progress, as well as the pills. Once and a while I can get her to look really good at herself and find something she likes, but it’s rare.

Her life is slowly getting pieced back up. She has a home now with a family who really cares about her and tries to help her as much as they can, even though she still does have a hard time opening up.

Cailie is my best friend, and in some part more than others, she is I. We are connected by passion towards one another. We love each other dearly and I’ll do, as I have been, anything for her to save her.