Time Escapes Us

Dani - Agoura Hills, California
Themes: carpe diem

Time Escapes Us

I have always wondered where time goes. Where does it disappear to as it escapes us? There goes one second, another…and one more, but where to? People, including myself, seldom realize how fast time flies by and how quickly our lives race before our eyes. Time is not something that we can buy back or return to. It disappears to an outlandish place that one cannot describe. When most people hear the word time, they think of a clock or what they are doing at a certain hour of the day. Time for me is different. I think of memories and experiences I have had.

For my whole life, it seems as though people have constantly been asking me what I want to be when I grow up and what college I want to go to. My answer has varied throughout the years and I have tended to listen to what my parents have told me to say. Only recently have I truly recognized that I need to start thinking about colleges and potential careers for myself. As a sophomore in high school I am starting to gain more and more responsibilities by the day and I am becoming more accountable for my actions. I am not a little kid anymore. Everything I do is now part of who I am and part of who I will be. With tasks like getting my license, SAT’s, and applying to colleges coming up in the near future I have to start managing my time wisely. Time is scarce in our busy lives and budgeting it for the important things is not always easy. I have to start focusing on where my life after high school will take me, because before I know it I will not have much time left to think.

A moment in which time had really escaped me was this last weekend on March 7th 2009. On that day my little sister became at Bat Mitzvah. It was then that I realized how fast time flies and how little we realize it. I was sitting in her service watching her recite the words of the Torah thinking, “Is this really happening right now? Is my little sister having her Bat Mitzvah?” To me, it feels as though my own Bat Mitzvah, which was three years ago, was just yesterday. I had known her Bat Mitzvah was coming up for months, but it was never real to me until I was in the moment. I had not grasped how sudden an event in your life can come and go like it never happened until I witnessed it for myself.

All the experiences I have had throughout my life are just memories now. Time has flown at the speed of light and it is hard to believe how quickly I have become who I am today. Life is too short to waste time. Time is something we should cherish so it cannot escape us. This I believe.