Jessica - Gurnee/Illinois/60031, Illinois

Absolutely Too Much Stress

“Oh my gosh, I don’t know how I’ll do all this homework! I have five classes of homework, work from five to ten, an after school choir rehearsal from three to six from which I will have to leave early to go to work! I just don’t know how I’ll do all this work! This is the usual conversation that goes on in high school hallways. The crisis that many teenagers face is lack of time and simply too much to do. Looking back on how much I actually have to do and the amount of time I have to do it all in adds up to about thirty hours crammed into a twenty-four hour day, and that’s not counting sleep!

I have eight hours of school, from seven to three, then there is five hours of homework, work starting at five and going until ten, and choir practice that starts at three and ends at six. I also have to help plan for the canned food drive, which is about three hours of planning, printing flyers, and planning awards. I feel like the drowning economy with so much going on but no time to fix it all. Can anyone believe that it’s already been twenty-four hours of work and so far no food or sleep? There are another two hours to eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner, total, and there is another two hours of working out because the school wants us to be in shape and some of us are going out for a sports team, and finally a lot of high school students go in after school for help for about an hour or two. That is thirty hours and still NO SLEEP!

So how do high school students actually fit in all this work? Well for starters we do more of our homework at school than at home. We fit in our homework in the few minutes before and after class and we will sometimes even do it on the bus. So what are we going to do? Often times we will be doing our homework late at night after we get home and will be working on it until about 1:00 in the morning. Then we finally get to go to sleep only to wake up to the screaming alarm clock at 6:00 A.M . Studies show that teenagers need somewhere between six and eight hours of sleep, not five. So when we are napping in class teachers can be proud because that usually means we were up late doing the homework they assigned.

How can we fix this menacing issue facing many teenagers? Some say less homework, others claim that teenagers shouldn’t have to work until college. I say that students should be allowed to take a class that teaches them time management. A class with no homework, except maybe to create a schedule for themselves, and time to nap. Yes, I know a naptime sounds childish but studies show a naptime is more useful to a teenage mind. Or maybe they can use the time to catch up on homework. So this I believe: Many students in high school have too much to do and way too little time to actually do it all.