The Power of One Soul

Erica - Lake Orion, Michigan

I believe in the power of one soul. I believe in the power of one voice. I believe in the power of one word. In other words, I believe that a single person, a single voice, and something as small as a single word can change the world. It has been said that the opinion of one person is as worthless as a library with no books. Some say that one’s voice is masked by the commotion of others. However, I believe differently.

Taking into consideration the people that have succeeded in transforming the world, for better or worse, is the best way to support my belief. On one hand, there is Mother Theresa, Rosa Parks, Princess Diana, and Maya Angelou, who have stood out in our society in the past for the noble causes they dedicated their lives to. On the other hand, there are people such as Hitler and Osama Bin Laden. who have negatively yet still dramatically affected the world throughout history. Though both groups, negative or positive, were not single handed in their attempts, they had the ideas to alter humanity, and from there leapt many supporters and opportunities, and these single people are credited with the movement of modern civilization. You may believe that you are not as superior as these examples, that you cannot possibly make a difference in a positive way, a way that Mother Theresa or Princess Diana would be proud of, but I believe you are wrong.

You go into the grocery store, you see two older boys, around age fifteen, verbally attacking a younger girl, approximately thirteen years old. They start grabbing at her, and eventually one of the boys shouts, “Hit her! Hit her!” In this instant, most kind-hearted people with good morals would step in and try to stop the madness. It is in this way that one person can change the world. The change I speak of takes one step at a time, and in these steps, one shall discover the power to help others, which eventually leads to a world in which positivity overcomes negativity, and where love prevails over hate.

I know that individual people have the power to change their families, their businesses, their towns and states and countries, and ultimately the world we live in. I know that we can better the world using our voices, and if one believe in the power of his/her voice, I know they will make a difference. This I believe.