Confidence

Whit - Denver, Colorado
Themes: work

I believe in confidence.

A few weeks ago I went out for varsity lacrosse tryouts. Since I had my last basketball game the first day of lacrosse tryouts, I came out a day late, not having touched my stick for six months. I knew how I compared to kids my age at lacrosse, but I had no idea how good the upperclassman were.

I knew I was not quite a varsity player, but I did know I was going to go out there and leave everything on the field so I had nothing to regret. My two most important goals were to not fear anyone and to improve. I was not going to be like the sophomore defenders and hide behind the goal because I was afraid. I knew, unlike me, they were not going to improve.

My first day of tryouts I came out about ten minute’s late and missed warm-ups. After a few stretches I hopped in line for one on one’s and I ended up going against my 6’ 2” 190 pound senior brother; I am a 6’ 2” 140 pound freshman. I was extremely anxious waiting for my brother’s dodge; somehow I was able to contain him and strip the ball from him.

I knew two things after the first day of tryouts: Number one, I was in trouble with my brother when I got home; number two, I realized I could compete at the varsity level. I was confident.

My big brother tried to goad me by calling me “cocky” for going against him multiple times. Although there is a fine line between confidence and cockiness, there is a difference; confidence is being able to go into a sport or team and feel like you can play with them or when you fall down or mess up you get up and keep trying; although the definition of cockiness and confidence are very similar there is one large difference; cockiness contains arrogance. Arrogance is acting as if you are more important than everyone and do not show your opponent, sport, teammates, and coaches proper respect.

My confidence allowed me to get passed the first cut and play in a varsity scrimmage. Even more importantly than this I had the most fun 13 days playing lacrosse and I improved greatly. Confidence has given me four important skills: a short memory, so I do not dwell on the mistake I had just made, belief in my self, the ability to improve, and the ability to get up when I fall or make a mistake. This is why I believe in confidence.