All You Need is Love

Koryeh - Englewood, Colorado
Themes: love

All You Need is Love

What is love and where does it come from? People all over the world portray love to be many different things. Some people imagine love to be an over clichéd word that renders the idea of satisfaction to people who thrive for the feeling. I think love to be a common goal, that we as people, all prosper. Love allows for you to escape the dangers of reality and fall into a state of being. It is a part of us all.

Someone once said to me “I do not believe in love.” When I heard those words, the notion of love ran through my head and I began to question whether or not it was real. When she said that, my universal believes were being contradicted. Uncertainty and doubt filled my mind as I began to process what she had just said. I started to explore my childhood and what sort of feelings I was able to express in terms of admiration of when I was young. I remembered the feeling of the first time I had seen my new family after I just came off from a two-week travel from the African adoption agency. The thought of ambivalence trickled in my mind as I saw these people who would now, always and forever, be a part of me. I remember the look on my parent’s faces as they encountered their new daughter to be. I could feel the love that would sooner or later grow stronger. I also came across the memory of when my siblings and I would spend nights reading Where the Wild Things Are and trying to keep quiet with our “band” as they rocked out on the drums and guitars while I was the lead singer. Looking back at all this I had realized that I had been overexposed to the idea of loving everyone. I reminisced on the times that I had and envied the fact that there was a period when the main idea in my mind was that I was happy and no one could take away all the love. It scares me to think that a feeling that was once longed for is now being lost in the eyes of the youthful. Love, in my opinion, is what makes us all connect.

Many people may believe that a person of my age has not undergone the true aspects of love. But in my mind, we, some sooner then others, all go through an experience that allows for us to realize the power and the abilities that love has. Whether the experience be a birth, a death, a friend, a spouse, a brother, or a sister, we are all capable of love. This I believe.