Man’s Best Friend

Connor - Greenwood Village, Colorado

After hockey practice, I was expecting to slouch lazily in the front seat, blast the radio, and contemplate on what I wanted for dinner like always, but when opening the door I got the shock of my life. Curled up in a ball and quietly sleeping was my brand new seven week old puppy.

I stood in the parking lot not knowing how to react and looked at my mom not quite knowing what to say, I was speechless, and all she could do was put down her book and smile. The faintest little bark drew me back to the puppy that was now standing and happy to greet me. I could now see that he was a husky, the type of dog I had always wanted. I bent down to say high, and one glance into his big brown eyes, and a moist slobbery lick on the cheek was all it took for me to realize that I had made a friend for life. I believe in man’s best friend.

From that very first moment Tuk and I have been inseparable. He’s always by my side with a giant smile that says I’m the happiest puppy in the world. He always comes when called, and is as loyal a friend as they come. Never will he hold a grudge against you for leaving him at home alone all day or to go to a party, he just waits out the minutes patiently until he can see you again. Every day after school he is the first to greet me when I step out of the car, tail always wagging with a tennis ball in his mouth ready to play. He may chew on everything including my lacrosse cleats, or slobber all over the couch and even on my bed, but you I him anyway. He is also the most honest friend I will ever have. Never once has Tuk failed to show me the remains of one of my shoes, notebooks, or socks always dangling from his mouth or dropped at my feet. Tuk is also the best alarm clock in the world, consistently licking your face in the morning until you have to give in and get up to play with him. No other friend of mine constantly thinks of me and always wanting to play me like Tuk does. He is one friend that I can count on to always put a smile on my face.

Friends come and go but Tuk is always with me in some from of another, may it just be a tennis ball at school that makes me wonder what he is doing at home. Never will the image of his chubby face and fluffy tail leave the back of my mind. I believe in man’s best friend, because my puppy, Tuk, and I will be best friends for ever.