Following In His Footsteps

RJ - Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Themes: legacy

. I believe that if you try your hardest and don’t give up, eventually you will prosper. I was first told this when my grandpa Bob was very sick in the hospital. After we got word that his organs were slowly failing, due to an extremely rare disease that only claims around 100 people per year, I got the chance to say my final goodbye. He started by telling me how proud he was of me, after as he took his necklace with a Saint Christopher medallion on it, and he stated the words etched in on the back of the medallion. “ With hard work and persistency you will go far.”

Now looking back on his great life and the things he had instilled upon me I now see how much this statement had been a part of his life. From an early age he had trouble in school, later to find out that he had dyslexia. Through hard work and never giving up he taught himself to read and write so he could pass school. He later in high school was awarded the Sam Hawkley award for having outstanding grades and excelling in sports. My grandpa made varsity basketball three times and made varsity football all four years of high school. This was no easy task either, the school he went to had over 5,000 kids and it was nearly impossible to make varsity one season, let alone seven. Through hard work he was able to accomplish this great task too.

After high school Bob went to The University of Michigan where he continued to excel in sports and academics, also majoring in engineering. After college he got a job at General Motors where he restlessly attempted to refine the SUV. Although while he worked there they never went with his designs, because they were to hard to manure facture them. Now his designs are what the bases for what Denali’s and Suburban’s are made after.

Through his perseverance during all the hardships in his life he has way more proof that if this moral is followed that good things will happen. Now I wear his medallion as a reminder of how I should follow in his footsteps, and as a reminder of what a great man he was.