Useless Traditions

Bailey - Denver, Colorado

Useless Traditions

Traditions are what keep our culture alive. They display beliefs, and remind us of our ancestors. From the smallest to the biggest, traditions define who we are.

In my family there are traditions that I hate and are useless. Every Christmas I wake up, go upstairs and scream “Mom and Dad I’m up!”, then my dad gets out the camera and puts on his clothes while my mom readies the Santa hats, and then they go to the living room and press record. I walk in and see the presents. A long time ago I would scream at the sight of presents, now I can only smile at what Santa has brought. Despite my lack of excitement, they still do it every year.

Another silly tradition that my family runs on is the famous ketchup and baloney sandwich. My dad used to pack my lunches for me every day. I would sit down at the lunch table and see what was in my Power Rangers lunch box, only to find the worlds sloppiest sandwich ever made. I swear they were getting worse every day. After years of harassment from those other kids with clean-cut sandwiches I started to pack my own lunches. Now I am 15 and my little sister is almost 3. I come home at noon and see my little sister munching on the same sandwich I used to devour. The cold hard truth is that that little tradition is what has fed my family for years.

The next tradition doesn’t apply to me as drastically as the others did. It is something that is overlooked every four to eight years, and was pointed out to me in my history class. During the Inaugurations of our presidents, they are sworn in with their hand atop a Christian bible. I couldn’t help but wonder, what if a Jewish president was elected. Would they use a Tora? This huge part of the ceremony is based of a tradition. Although it might be a stupid one others might be able to see that our country was founded by people with strong Christian beliefs.

From recording Christmas day to the acceptance of our new president, traditions have influenced everyone’s lives in magnificent ways. I believe that despite having useless traditions, they all define who we are.