I Believe in Oscar

brendan - denver, Colorado

Oscar is not a good dog in any form of the word. He does his business inside, he chews on things that he is not supposed to chew on, and he constantly jumps up on to the counter to look for a snack that we may have left for him.

The day we brought him home from the breeder was a microcosm for all of his life of one year. That day, he managed to pee on my lap, poop on the floor, and bite my ankles to the point of blood. But he seemed to get away with it, because as soon as he forgot, we forgot as well, because his looks were irresistibly cute. He appeared to learn, but slowly, but it soon became apparent that he was just trying to get on our good sides, because I cannot recall one rabbit he saw that he did not go bolting after if he had the chance.

When we left our rental house, he appeared to be getting better. He was forced to acclimate to the electric fence, but that did not go too well. One day, when I arrived home from school, I opened the door to call Oscar inside, but no big, furry animal came bolting at me. We began the search and found Oscar nearby at a neighbor’s house. He was chasing a rabbit as usual, and did not notice the electric fence. He was simply running through it. We tried to turn the voltage up manually, but that had no effect on his rabbit hunts. At one point, we actually considered giving up and giving him away. However, I made my voice heard and prevented that from happening. The electric fence employee did wonders. Oscar saw another rabbit, and once again bolted at it, and was literally stood-up at the line. After all that work, we could keep him.

I am certainly taken advantage of by Oscar. I am always the one accused of breaking the rules. But I always blame it on Oscar. I cannot resist him. When he is looking up at me with those eyes, I can’t help but to give him a snack, or maybe let him chew on my brother’s sock for a little while. It is not my fault. Even when he is misbehaving I can easily forgive him, because I can’t resist his guilty face or his guilty lick of my knee either. I can’t discipline Oscar.

Maybe it’s my fault he is so bad. I never discipline him and I can never get angry at him. But, he is never mean about anything, and he is always there for a pet or a game of fetch, but he knows when I am tired and don’t want to play, and he will simply lie at my side.

Oscar is a good dog, and I can always rely on his charming, upbeat attitude and his mischievous games.