The Importance of Strife

Jackson - Littleton, Colorado
Themes: work

Almost everything we do as humans is to be successful in this world. To be successful, hard work, strife, and determination are a necessity to living a fulfilling life. This entire world is based on competition. It is based on one person working to exhaustion to beat out another person. Whether it is applying to colleges, competing for playing time in a sport, or just fighting relentlessly for a job so that people can feed themselves and their families.

I am a strong disbeliever in laziness. I believe humans should give their all out effort and compete to become better. People might as well give their effort in anything they do, even if it does not interest them that much. In the long run, what I believe people have to realize is that lack of determination and not giving an all out effort will only end up hurting them. For example, I played on a team for many years. In first grade, the team had an abundance of athletes who were determined to win. That same year, we won the state championship for lacrosse. This same process continued on the next year, thus resulting in another championship season. As the years when on, the players on the team lost interest and the determination to get better, and did not continue practicing on their own. Worst of all, they treated the team practices like a joke. They would not run hard, and sometimes when they became tired, they would just quit. Because of the laziness and lack of drive, most people on the team never got better, and we never had a winning season after fourth grade. The select few players who had strife and were working rigorously to become better players and make the team better were the players that I felt empathy for because the majority of the team who did not care about their own success or others held them back.

I always give my effort, whether it is something that I am in love with, or something that I do not take that much interest in. This is because I want to be successful and have a life with accomplishments that I can be proud of. I love knowing that no matter what the outcome of anything, I can say that at least I gave it my all. I want to have no regrets, and I want to be able to say, “I would not change a thing!”

I believe that the types of people who work themselves to the bone to achieve and become better people deserve a positive outcome. I believe that someone might have all of the god given talents in the world, but if they do not try to take those talents to the next level with backbreaking work, they do not deserve those talents.