The Unattainablilty of Perfection.

Yamini - Englewood, Colorado
Themes: work

I believe that perfection is an image formed by the mind by society, which is impossible to achieve. I believe that those who seem or look “perfect” are truly far from perfection. I believe the ones who act like their lives are perfect, are in fact the ones who are in disguise, and are the ones who are truly farthest from it. Every mind has a different perception and definition of “perfection.” In my mind there is no definition of perfection, because I believe there is no such thing.

How is this idea of perfection built and perceived in peoples’ minds? Society creates an image and idea which is unachievable. Society creates images of the “perfect” body or the “perfect” child which are unrealistic for any human being. I believe that people strive to reach perfection, but in the end realize that it is impossible to live up to society’s idealistic expectation.

The concept of “perfection” is not realistic, and depressing, because people strive to achieve it throughout their lifetime, but never reaches the satisfaction of accomplishment. Each person has faults, which makes each person a unique individual. No matter how hard we try we can never reach the standards of perfection set by society.

Even those who I admire for their “perfection” have faults. For example, my friend, who appeared to have the “perfect” life. She had happiness, friends, and popularity, but after getting to know her I came to find out that her father had been fighting a deadly battle of cancer. In addition, another one of my peers seemed to have my idea of a “perfect body”, but in reality she was bulimic, this takes away the perfection that I imagined, because I believe that perfection, if able to be achieved, should be done in the correct way. Another example reveals my other friend who had the “perfect” family, but hidden by the curtains of perfection, they abused her. Perfection is a deceiving concept built in peoples’ minds, which in reality is never meant to be achieved.

Perfection is deceiving, when you think you have reached it, there comes someone who is seemingly better then you. When I think someone else is perfect, in reality they are just as lost as everyone else, and they have just as many problems, but they are able to hide their faults better. I believe that perfection is impossible to achieve by societal standards, but an individual can be “perfect” when standards by the individual are succeeded.