Dr. Pepper

Martha - Centennial, Colorado

I believe in midnight Dr. Peppers, because no one likes lonely nights.

As a new student at my high school, I felt alone in my daily environment. My only escape from this desolate atmosphere was late night walks with my friend Sarah. Sarah lived in the neighborhood across from mine. We had been friends for three years, all throughout middle school, and were now separate, thrown into different high schools. I assumed that because we would no longer see one another on a daily basis, we would naturally part. Human nature is that without contact, it is less likely to maintain a connection. I was proven amazingly incorrect one night when Sarah called at 12: 30 wanting to go on a run.

The only thing that could get me to leave the comfort and warmth of my bed was her appeal to my severe addiction to Dr. Pepper. Her bribe of getting a Dr. Pepper on our run was incentive enough for me. I got out of bed, got dressed, and we met up.

It seemed as though any time either of us had issues or struggles we felt we could not face alone, no matter how long it had been since our previous encounter, midnight runs to the local grocery store for two bottles of Dr. Pepper brought us together. This burgundy aluminum can, filled with bubbles of carbonated happiness strengthened our relationship.

We were out for hours, talking about school, boys, and life. I learned more about her in those few hours we spent together a few times every couple weeks, than I had over three years of being in classes with her. Our discussions were liberating. They were times we were able to speak our minds with no one to judge us. No one was ever there to make smart remarks about what we had to say. It was simply us, the trees, and our late night Dr. Peppers.

Sarah and I have continued this tradition for the last couple years of high school. I have learned that relationships and the connections you make with people can flourish in many different ways. You can develop relationships with the doorman who flashes you a smile every time you go to and from your apartment, the bus driver you see every morning on your way to school who greets you with a cheerful hello, or the barista at your local Starbucks who has managed to memorize your favorite drink, making it even before get a chance to order. I believe that everyone should have their own Dr. Pepper. Something that brings loved ones together and strengthens bonds. In my case the 23 flavors contained within every can of Dr. Pepper, helped unify us. I’ve now realized it doesn’t matter how you build these relationships, as long as you do so, because friends make us all stronger.